Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Bubble Economy

Is the global economy a bubble? I can see where it could be deleterious to the economy for people to believe that it is a bubble. A belief that the bubble is about to burst has the potential to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As a business person it’s in my interest to maintain a client’s belief that their goods and services, albeit superfluous, have monetary value. As it is in my interest to convince clients that my services are necessary and have value.

If we are thinking in terms of a future recession then what is the best course of action? Try to make as much as possible in one's chosen field while it is still lucrative? Invest in oil? Learn to grow food?

1 comment:

SustainableGirl said...

I think learning to grow food is more important than making money, although I think it's in all of our best interests to have money saved for when things get crazy in the years to come (although, can we trust in the banks if the economy starts to collapse?). For future generations who will need to be more self-sufficient and live closer to the earth, the skills of farming, and caring for and breeding livestock, will be invaluable. As for investing in oil, it's hard to say. If it was profitable to invest in the Nazi party during their heyday, with the intent of using the money to create a peaceful society and help the oppressed, would that have made it acceptable? It's hard for me to want to give money to companies who are raping the planet, but what if I made money on it and invested it back into the earth?